Over half of all sports injuries are related to the knee The knee is stabilized by tendons, muscles, and four important ligaments: Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL), Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL), Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL), and the Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL). The major types of Knee Injuries athletes face are:
- MCL Sprain/Tear: which can occur when the outside of the knee joint is stressed
- ACL Sprain/Tear: which can occur when changing direction quickly, stopping suddenly, or landing when jumping
- Bursitis: inflammation of the protective soft tissue in the knee joint
- Patellar Tendinitis: inflammation of the tendon that connects the quadriceps to the lower leg
- Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome: damage to the underside of the knee cap
Through the use of physiotherapy modalities, manual therapies and rehabilitative exercises, we can help athletes recover stronger and faster.